Friday, July 3, 2009

Blackberry Lily, aka Leopard Lily

Blackberry Lily blossom and buds
From Dave's Garden, I learned that seeds of this plant is poisonous if ingested as are other parts (not defined). Seeds were given to me years ago by a friend and when that clump eventually was lost due to a total garden rearrangement a few years back, I purchased another plant two or three years ago. Despite attempts (unintentional) by others to get rid of it (accidental breakage before blooming, for example), it has bloomed for me every year. Maybe this year I'll be able to spread it by sowing some seed before frost.

Family: Iridaceae (eye-rid-AY-see-ee)
Genus: Belamcanda (bel-am-KAN-duh)
Species: chinensis (chi-NEN-sis)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by... I try to return all visits and appreciate yours greatly.