Monday, August 10, 2009

Black Swan in Lake Rotomahana, Waimangu Volcanic Valley, New Zealand

black swan
The first of these swans I saw was across the lake building a nest and too far away for a clear photo. I'd never seen a black swan before so wasn't sure what I was looking at but had my suspicions confirmed by another tourist who was much closer to home (from north of Auckland) than I was. Apparently these birds aren't native to New Zealand but were 'imported' from Australia some time ago. They are quite happily resident on Lake Rotomahana and we saw many, both from ashore and while on the boat ride portion of the Waimangu Volcanic Valley experience. (note that I'm back from vacation and WAY behind on posts but gradually trying to catch up... my vacation blog has more photos if you care to have a look)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by... I try to return all visits and appreciate yours greatly.