Thursday, May 6, 2010

Queen's Wreath Vine in Amonoka Villa gardens, St. Croix, USVI

purple tropical flower
Petrea volubilis (Queen's Wreath, Sanpaper Vine)is a high-climbing vine with rough surfaced dark green leaves and clusters of lavender-blue or white flowers. From a posting on Flickr, I learned the name of this plant and that it produces graceful clusters of short-lived purple (or white flowers) enclosed by much longer-lived purple or violet calces.

The tiny flower that appears to have been sunburned about the edges falls off quite easily and led to one of the funniest things I've seen in nature... As I was focusing with my camera on one of the tiny blossoms that had fallen onto a leaf, a bee decided to visit in search of pollen (or nectar) and landed on the fallen flower... at which point... both flower and bee tumbled off the leaf!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by... I try to return all visits and appreciate yours greatly.