Sunday, March 27, 2011

Recently resurrected roadside landscape from the Stanley, Idaho area...

roadside scenery near Stanley, Idaho
A friend stopped by today to learn a few tricks from me about using Lightroom 3 software for photo management. He's more of a novice using the software than I am and although I am by no means an expert, I was able to show him a few things that will give him a good basis for learning more.

The best part about our 'training session' today is that he showed me a marvelous trick for viewing images that are buried deep in my old iPhoto library from within Lightroom. Believe me, I do not want to put EVERY image I have in iPhoto into a Lightroom catalog... but being able to browse through my iPhoto library using Lightroom to pick and choose a few of the images for future editing is marvelous!

This image from a September trip to Stanley, Idaho in September of 2009 is one that I don't believe has been seen online before today. The area around Stanley, Idaho includes lakes, rivers and the beautiful Sawtooth Mountains. Just about anywhere in the area around Stanley, one can find scenes such as this one, taken with my D90 and the 18-105mm lens I was using at that time.

The other thing I learned how to do today was download a lens correction profile for that older lens and use it in Lightroom to correct for chromatic aberration, barrel or pincushion distortion or vignetting. Although many lens correction settings are built-in to Lightroom, some are missing and it was wonderful to discover that others have worked out those missing correction profiles and made them available online.

2 comments:

  1. Interestingly, Victoria, this past week I had to use PS's lens correction on 2 different images...something I haven't had to do in awhile. It does come in handy, doesn't it.

    I noticed the fence in the image that is half covered with water and wonder if there was flooding in this area when you took the picture? It's so peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo of that area! Back in the 70's and 80's we drove through there most every year as we travelled between here and Arizona for vacations. Gorgeous area!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by... I try to return all visits and appreciate yours greatly.