Saturday, April 23, 2011

Bishops' Mitre (Epimedium x Rubrum) ... Spring 2011

maroon red and white Epimedium blossom
I do so look forward to these tiny flower blossoms every spring. Their delicate beauty fascinates me as do all the lovely details visible in a very close macro shot such as this one. In case you don't know this flower, the size of a single blossom is 10-12mm across (about the size of a dime US currency) so that gives you a sense of how tiny the ant is that was crawling around on this blossom! (taken while lying flat on the ground to get down to "eye" level with the blossoms)

This is a shade loving, low growing, ground cover plant that naturalizes slowly to cover a larger area of the garden each year. My garden has quite a lot of shady area!

I'll be posting this to Macro Monday over at Lisa's Chaos... on Monday, of course!

12 comments:

  1. I can see why you look forward to this one! It's gorgeous! Nice macro too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be lovely to have but never seen before so I suppose it doesn't exist here is Finland:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!very nice!
    Greats
    nathaliegerbex.blogspot.com
    themoment-nathaliegerbex.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous sharp selective focus. Terrific macro Victoria.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful macro and nice to see the ant in the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great macro....very pretty bloom and love the ants!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an unusual flower - such a wonderful sheen. I love the DOF on this shot and you captured the any perfectly, although I am not a great fan of ants since coming to live in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the 'twin' in the background, excellent composition.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is one incredible, beauty!!

    Here's my link for today: A Mermaid She's Not Do stop by if you get a chance. And thanks for visiting with me yesterday!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I have visions of you lying on the ground with camera in hand, Victoria. :) I hope you found some other gems while you were down there, to make good use of the effort. HA! Have I ever told you how much your macro work inspires me!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by... I try to return all visits and appreciate yours greatly.